Vimmbox

Attack on Titan Season 3 Episode 1 - Anime Review

Finally, after one year of waiting we get another season of Attack on Titan. After the events of the second season, I am eager to see the continuation of this well-liked story. As promised, we will get some more on Captain Levi and the politics of a society behind walls. However, I hope we will not fall short on the savage action of a Human vs Titan battle.

Synopsis

The episode starts off with Eren doing some housework with the rest of the squad. It was light-hearthed and kinda funny. Especially, the quick banter between Armin and Sasha as the “Potato-Girl” steals food from the table and sticks it in her bag made me chuckle. However, We are not watching this series because it is a slice of life anime, we are watching it for mystery and titans. Soon after, we see Hange convince Eren to experiment with his Titan powers, specifically his harden ability to seal the walls. Even though Eren is trying his best, he is not able to his Titan powers as effectively as he used to. Maybe learning that new ability from the previous episode must have taken a toll on his body.

After Eren has recovered from the experiment, a rising threat from the shadows puts everyone’s lives in danger again. It turns out that someone is trying to silence the squad. We learn that the King, King Fritz is plotting something and is trying to get Eren and Historia. However, what the king has in mind is not clear yet. He held a donation in which he gave away 60% of the reserves to the public in order to gain their trust and raise their morale.

Anyways, we also found out that Pastor Nick has been murdered. We don’t yet know who orchestrated the assassination, but we do know that it’s someone who also seeks information on Historia and her connection to the Walls.

Of course, near the end of the episode, we get our first deaths. RIP Nifa, and the other guy that got blasted in the face. This is where we get our introduction to Kenny the Ripper, the guy who took Levi under his wings for a short period of time in Levi’s childhood. It was pretty cool to see a different type of weapon, aside for the usual swords at play.

Themes

- Human vs Human: This arc will be more focused on the fights and tensions between humans. Of course, titans will play a major role in this arc.
- Captain Levi will surely get some good characterisation. I am eager to see what he had to do with Kenny the Ripper.
- Politics of a society behind walls. It is already obvious, that we will get a lot more politics in this arc. I just hope they can make it interesting and still keep a certain level of action.

Verdict

I am very happy with this episode, even though the opening is somewhat bad. There are some differences with the pacing, but this indicates a change of story arc. As you probably know, this arc will feature less of “human vs titan” action but more “human vs human” action. I think this will be a refreshing change from the Attack on Titan we know from season 1 and 2. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the next episode.
Darling in the Franxx Episode 5 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

This episode has a lot of characterisation and interaction between the main characters. We finally see the darker side of our bets girl Zero Tow and it’s apparent, that she is not a good girl.
10 months ago
Nanatsu no Taizai Season 2 Episode 10 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

This week’s episode was very enjoyable. This iteration of the Seven Deadly Sins was split into two parts. The first half was rather emotional with the back story of Ban and Zhivago and second was more light-hearted. However, at the end, the story got more and more tense, escalating into the confrontation by King of Meliodas and his past with the Ten Commandments.
8 months ago
Nanatsu no Taizai Season 2 Episode 3 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

Nanatsu no Taizai 2 is still going strong with this episode. This wasn’t my favourite episode so far, but it doesn’t mean it won’t get better in the future. I am definitely hyped to see the upcoming epic fight.
10 months ago
Nanatsu no Taizai Season 2 Episode 4 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

Nanatsu no Taizai is still going strong with this episode. The power of the ten commandments is continuing to grow and King is fighting against the huge golem, who threatens to destroy the forest. I am very pleased with this episode.
10 months ago
Darling in the Franxx Episode 2 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

The second episode of Darling in the FranXX by A1-Pictures and Studio Trigger has finally aired. The visuals of this series are great and the story though not so unique was still very entrancing.
10 months ago
Darling in the Franxx Episode 6 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

In this episode we got again glorious battle scenes, which were expertly animated by Studio Trigger and A1-Pictures. However, with this episode I am quite worried for the future of this series. Hiro’s tumour just vanished, without any consequences for our protagonist. I hope that the characters of this series don’t get a to big of a Plot-Armor, which would ruin the vibe of this 24-episode long anime. Having said that, I am very pleased with this episode and I am looking forward to next week.
9 months ago
Darling in the Franxx Episode 3 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

Darling in the FranXX continues to be my favorite show of this season. The pacing is rather slow but well managed, the imagery and animation are absolutely breathtaking.
10 months ago
Darling in the Franxx Episode 4 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

Here we have it! I believe it’s safe to say that Darling in the FranXX is the anime of the season. There were so many things going on in this episode. The romance is better than in most dedicated romance-anime, the cinematography is as good as “Eureka Seven” and the action is breath-taking.
10 months ago
Nanatsu no Taizai Season 2 Episode 5 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

This week we got again a very good episode of Seven Deadly Sins season 2. How can you defeat some overpowered heroes? With more overpowered villains obviously.
10 months ago
Hataraku Saibou: Cells at Work - Episode 2 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

I had high hopes for this anime. I reall looked forward to seeing this show. However, after seeing the first two episodes, I am a bit disappointend. This is neither good or bad, it is just "meh". Nevertheless, i wrote a short review.
4 months ago
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 47 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

With this episode the Byajuya Gang Arc ends. I find it fantastic, that Boruto: Naruto Next Generations turned the drama up to eleven. The fight scenes where epic and enjoyable. However, I still think the main villain is a bit bland. Nevertheless, it was a great episode!
9 months ago
Manga 'Hataraku Saibou' Gets TV Anime for Summer 2018
By
AnAnimeGeek

An official website was launched announcing that Akane Shimizu's anthropomorphic manga Hataraku Saibou (Cells at Work!) will receive a TV anime adaptation slated to broadcast in July 2018.
10 months ago
Darling in the Franxx Episode 1 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

The winter season is well underway, and Studio TRIGGER has arrived on the scene with Darling in the FRANXX. In a world where children’s only value is determined by their ability to pilot robots known as FRANXX, young Hiro, also known as Code 016, has seemingly lost this essential ability. Resigned to being dismissed to a worthless life, his life is changed when he meets a girl pilot, or “parasite”, by the name of Zero Two.
10 months ago
Nanatsu no Taizai Season 2 Episode 1 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

Finally we have the first episode of the second season of the beloved anime series “Nanatsu no Taizai”.
10 months ago
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 49 - Anime Review
By
AnAnimeGeek

Unfortunately, this was just a “meh!” episode. I didn’t really care about the characters. However, I still enjoyed it for what they are. I didn’t bother to write a review for this episode. I quoted following review from theanimescrolls. If you like it, please click on the link below and give them some love. That aside, enjoy!
9 months ago

Comments

You have to be logged in to write a comment...
Not yet commented...